Photo
- - - - -

Can a modeling agency tell just from a snap shot if I have what it takes to be a mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Casting

Casting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 07:36 AM

Yes and No. One of the normal screening practices for modeling agencies is to have you send a couple of snap shots of yourself, usually a head and shoulder shot and a full-length body shot in a bathing suit or tight clothes. From these snap shots some say they can tell if you have what it takes for modeling. They say, "Don't spend money on getting photos taken, a Polaroid by your friend is just fine".

To respond to the "yes" part of this question requires that you send to the modeling agency good, clear, properly exposed, properly composed and with you properly positioned, photographs. They can use these photos as a screening tool. This means that if they have an opening for someone with your look, they will be interested in meeting with you in person to see if, in fact, you look like your picture. This does not necessarily mean you have or do not have what it takes to be a model. It just gets you an interview and maybe on to a test shoot.

To respond to the "no" part of the question means most people send bad pictures, or they may look great but you don't meet the agency's needs at that moment or the agent guessed wrong. When they talk about sending a simple snap shot, they are actually looking for at least an advance amateur level of photography or a wannabe professional photographer level. Having taught photography for a number of years, I can say that most beginners have problems with exposure, focus, and composition, let alone knowing how to position you to look your best. You may not want to trust your career to your best friend's ability as a photographer unless they know something about photography.

Normally you will want to try several modeling agencies to see if they are interested in you. One agency may be full of blue eyed blondes while another may have none and need someone. Some of this is just being in the right place at the right time.

Also, we all have our war stories of getting it wrong. One agency or photographer may say someone does not have what it takes and then they go to another agency and become a star. I remember photographing a young 14-year-old, Jody, who I thought just didn't have the classic beauty look and told her I doubted if she would accomplish much in this field. Fortunately, she did not listen to me. She started working out, kept up her modeling and beauty work, switched over to the pageant side of things and became Miss Oregon. I was way off on that call. I think the initial snap shot, interview, and test shot are just screening processes to find those who would have an easier time in modeling. Some special few may still find some measure of success in modeling by hard work and developing special talents. They won't become superstars but they can find enjoyment and financial rewards pursuing a modeling career.

#2 enochsm

enochsm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 05:28 PM

Yes and No. One of the normal screening practices for modeling agencies is to have you send a couple of snap shots of yourself, usually a head and shoulder shot and a full-length body shot in a bathing suit or tight clothes. From these snap shots some say they can tell if you have what it takes for modeling. They say, "Don't spend money on getting photos taken, a Polaroid by your friend is just fine".
To respond to the "yes" part of this question requires that you send to the modeling agency good, clear, properly exposed, properly composed and with you properly positioned, photographs. They can use these photos as a screening tool. This means that if they have an opening for someone with your look, they will be interested in meeting with you in person to see if, in fact, you look like your picture. This does not necessarily mean you have or do not have what it takes to be a model. It just gets you an interview and maybe on to a test shoot.
To respond to the "no" part of the question means most people send bad pictures, or they may look great but you don't meet the agency's needs at that moment or the agent guessed wrong. When they talk about sending a simple snap shot, they are actually looking for at least an advance amateur level of photography or a wannabe professional photographer level. Having taught photography for a number of years, I can say that most beginners have problems with exposure, focus, and composition, let alone knowing how to position you to look your best. You may not want to trust your career to your best friend's ability as a photographer unless they know something about photography.
Normally you will want to try several modeling agencies to see if they are interested in you. One agency may be full of blue eyed blondes while another may have none and need someone. Some of this is just being in the right place at the right time.
Also, we all have our war stories of getting it wrong. One agency or photographer may say someone does not have what it takes and then they go to another agency and become a star. I remember photographing a young 14-year-old, Jody, who I thought just didn't have the classic beauty look and told her I doubted if she would accomplish much in this field. Fortunately, she did not listen to me. She started working out, kept up her modeling and beauty work, switched over to the pageant side of things and became Miss Oregon. I was way off on that call. I think the initial snap shot, interview, and test shot are just screening processes to find those who would have an easier time in modeling. Some special few may still find some measure of success in modeling by hard work and developing special talents. They won't become superstars but they can find enjoyment and financial rewards pursuing a modeling career.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes.
They can tell if you are shy,active,scared etc.
That is where they get your style If you are what they are looking for or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users